The baby might be thankful for his Binky and his mom. One of the kids might be thankful that one day she will get horse riding lessons--thankful things can be anticipated. Mom might be thankful for the children's bedtime. Dad might be thankful for week-ends. The list could go on and on.
Here are a few of things I'm thankful for today (not the biggies, but the odd, little ones):
- ...that I have a friend good enough to tell me a secret and know I won't tell.
- ...for bathrooms--flushing toilets. How did Grandma do it, traipsing to the outhouse?
- ...for Costco. Actually, that one would be Phil's.
- ...for the seasons. Even the winter one with ice and snow.
- ...for best friends who know we don't need to talk every day or we can talk every day, sometimes several times, or email instead.
- ...old best friends can go without communication for months and start up as if we only talked yesterday.
- ...for movies. I love movies even though I seldom go. Gotta love Red Box.
- ...for geraniums. They remind me of Italy which reminds me of grandma's with maybe whiskery chins. Grandma's in black dresses, braiding garlic--which I did once, on the lawn swings in honor of the Italian women in black dresses. But I didn't wear the black dress or have the whiskery chin. Thank goodness.
- ...for the furnace and the fireplace insert. Mmm, heat whenever I want it.
- ...that I won't live forever.
- ...that I had a childhood that was just interesting enough but not too interesting.
- ...for Indian Summer. Today was glorious.
- ...for grass. I love the feel of it under my feet.
- ...for hope. There was a time I didn't believe in hope.
- ...for this computer, even with all it's problems. I love it. Thank you Trent for building us a computer which has never crashed. It's hiccuped and it is slower than molasses but I love it. Yes I do.
- ...for screen doors.
- ...for tomatoes. I have a batch in the dehydrator right now. Michelle will get some Sovory Italina Tomatoes for her LATE birthday.
- ...for legs. I saw a woman today whose legs didn't work well enough for her to walk the isles of the store.
- ...for the ability to write what my imagination dreams up.
- ...for calendars that tell me when I forgot someones birthday because I forgot to look at it. And while we're at it I'm thankful for grandchildren who want lunch and a movie instead of "stuff." I owe a couple of them lunch and a movie which I hope to be able to do soon.
- ...for tweezers. See #8.
- ...bed. Where I'm going now. After I read my scriptures and write in my pathetic journal. And brush my teeth and clean my face and go to the bathroom--which I don't have to go outside in the cold dark night to go to.
What are you thankful for today? The little things. The simple ones.
PS 23 ...for spellcheck.