Wednesday, April 9, 2008

THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR.

Last night I sent an email to a friend of mine, saying I wished I had a Hershey bar. In less than five minutes someone rang the doorbell. It was my friend that I had just emailed, with guess what? Dove's dark chocolate to soothe my chocolate deprived life. I don't know how she had time to read my email, grab a bag of chocolate, put on her coat and drive here. Her speed was amazing! That's the kind of friend she is. She sees a need and fills it.




After we visited and I inhaled the chocolate she went home and sent me an email. The subject line was, "I wish I could sing." The body of the email said:


"I want to be happy


But I won't be happy


'Til I make you happy too.



"Life's really worth living


When we are mirth giving


Why can't I give some to you?




"When skies are gray


And you say you are blue


I'll send the sun smiling through




"I want to be happy


But I won't be happy


'Til I make you happy too."




And then she wrote:


"And I might even dance when I sang it. That would surely be good for a few chuckles."


Wasn't that a nice email to send? That's what friends are for. For loving you, even in your unreasonable chocolate cravings and for bringing you goodies. For being there with advice, friendship, listening ears, laughter, tears, and myriad other reasons. For being happy if you are happy and for being sad if you are sad.

I have had so many lovely comments, offering love and support for my daughter-in-law and for me, on my blog in the last few days. So many emails too.

I've had lunch with friends. I've received my first email from someone I treasure but have never met. Another friend took me to lunch and then we went back to her house to talk--she gave me Dove's dark chocolate too--maybe it's a hostile takeover by the Dove's people, infiltrating our lives with sweet goodness. This friend sends me e-cards for every occasion and for no reason at all. She brings me gifts, again for no reason. She asks for prayers for her loved ones and prays for mine. All my friends do that.

Another friend called today to tell me her daughter was asked to Prom. How sweet is that, to want to share such fun news with me?

Another friend I see seldom but when we are together it's like time has stood still. Years ago we met one evening because we had news to share. Shocking news that was going to change each of our lives. We both sat there with open mouths, disbelieving. We've been through a lot together.

I love all my friends, the ones who come in and out of my life, being close and then not so close and then being close again. Filling my needs, giving to me in all kinds of ways. I think they listen when the Spirit speaks and they act. I am filled with their love and friendship and kindness. Thank you, to all my friends, my old and new ones, everywhere.

And for the Dove's dark chocolate.

6 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

HOw awesome to have such good friends! I'd be happy with a Hershey's with Almonds -oohh.. I think there is one in my husbands drawer, that he bought me for Easter! I forgot about it!

Yes, friends are wonderful! My best friend is far away in Wyoming.. but I know she thinks of me often and would do just about anything for me. I wish we lived closer so that we could share more! Humm, maybe I'll write her a card today!

Unknown said...

There is a lesson there is how to treat friends. Maybe we should extend it to how to treat strangers.

Cindy Price said...

Wow, what an amazing friend!! I'm bet your a great friend too!! I know you are a great writer!!
I hope your daughter in law is doing well.

Lee Weber said...

I love good friend stories! Makes me miss mine more!

PS- I agree with you about the Dove conspiracy... I can eat until I'm sick.

tearese said...

wow, what great friends! Someone showing up at your door with candy is better than any forwarded email.

Anonymous said...

Lynne is a friend of the highest magnitude. A star shining brightly in a sky of friends. She's always there for everyone else; it's no wonder that others flock to her. She's a "gatherer", just scoops people up and loves them.