Saturday, July 4, 2009

THE BALLOON COMPETITION AT PROVO'S FREEDOM FESTIVAL

The beginning of a balloon. Flat as roadkill. Then the fan is turned on and when the balloon is half full they turn on the burners. In about fifteen minutes it can be airborne.
This is in honor of my Canadian friends. The maple leaf is the wrong color, but still.
Sailing off into the sunrise. There were about nineteen balloons in the competition. They took off to the south, climbed in altitude and then the air currents took them north. They then went lower and the air currents brought them back over the field, They dropped a weighted marker to see who could come closest to the target.

This was my favorite part. Maybe because it was chilly this morning and if you stood close to the balloon you were warmed. The power of the burn and then the lift off were exciting.
This competition has been a Provo event for 25 years and this is the first time we have gone. Shame on us. It was well worth getting up at 5:30 for.

Next year I want the grandchildren to go.

And all my friends.

And the neighbors.

And you.

Happy 4th of July to the country I love.

15 comments:

Lorraine said...

This is fantastic Lynne and I love, I repeat Love the photos, and thank you for recognition of Canada lol x

Jessica said...

What fun! We didn't go down to the field, but we did get up early and drive to Provo to see them up in the air. After reading your post, I just think I might go to the field next year!

Karen Deborah said...

very pretty I just found out this morning that we have one of these too. We are getting fancy around here.

Pam's Place said...

Great pictures, Lynne! Glad you got Phil to go, too. Did he enjoy it?

Hillary said...

What on earth were you doing up at 5:30 in the am? Don't answer, I know... baloons. But YOU of all people. Didn't you go to bed about 2:45? You COOKOO lady. No wounder you didn't have a 4th of July party. NO wonder Dad was exausted. No wonder.

Unknown said...

Someday I will get to a balloon race. Maybe one where I can get up at a civilised hour.

Annette said...

Happy 4th of July to you on the 5th! I've missed reading your blogs daily and had fun catching up on what's been going on from your very amazing perspective.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I love balloons...they are so unbelieveably LOUD!!!
Thank you for the comments... Bradley makes me smile too but shhhh dont let him know but i have never met a baby that wont make me smile and act foolish....
the topsy turvys do work but i am still holding off on rave reviews until i see just how MUCH produce they actually make... i am frustrated because i thought i was buying two different types of tomatos and i was so anticipating huge tomatos and ended up with two cherry tomoato plants...

shoot... my mind went off on its own to play i had something else i was going to say i can just feel it... oh well.. if i recall it while on line I will leave another message...

Happy day after the 4th! and have a wonderful tomorrow too!
Hugs Laura

Shar said...

you took some awesome photos, Lynne! We were there, too, but we didn't get there until 7am. I was so sad to have missed the takeoff. I actually cried over it. (I know, I know...ridiculous. I'll blame it on not enough sleep for this pregnant body.)

Anyway, it was awesome and we will definitely be going next year at getting there ON TIME with breakfast in hand :) Thanks for sharing all your beautiful photos.

Colette Amelia said...

outstanding wonderful photos! The new cameras are working overtime!

That looked really fun. I love the colours.

Hope the rest of your day was great!

Pam said...

Next time I'll come WITH you! My Angela couldn't quit talking about the smokey the bear balloon - but you don't have him. Was she making it up? Two and a half year olds can do that you know.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Smoky Bear must have a novice driver. Both days he ended up in the trees. The first day he did manage to go north some but then we lost him in the trees and the second day he went south and decended out of sight.

Pam said...

He was busy putting out fires. Don't you remember the song?

Pam said...

Prowlin and a growlin and a sniffin the air...

Supercool Hotmama said...

Very cool!