- They know that the pot stickers and the sesame chicken and the
noodles are the best food at the Asian Buffet. They know that even without tasting everything.
- They correct you when you tell them the Jell-O is orange and red. They say, "it's orange and dark red," and then you remember that they are the son of your son who would have said the same exact thing at age five.
- Their fortunes already come true. "Express yourself. Don't hold
back!" They talk and talk and talk.
4. They know that Grandma wants to sit by them so they save her a seat.
5. They know what they like.
6. They know "it's just a movie," and they don't want to sit on Grandma's
lap when she's scared and they aren't.
7. They feel safe at home.
8. They know they belong to someone and those someone's can be
trusted. Brothers and sisters can be trusted.
9. When asked what they are going to be when they are grown up they say, "Six." And then they say "seven," and then they say, "eight" and then they say, "nine" and when they get to "twenty three," they say, "I can count to one hundred. And a thousand." And you are glad they just said they know how, and didn't demonstrate.
10. When you say, "So, when you get to be twenty-four and you are grown up what do you want to do? And then they say, "work like my Dad," because they trust their dad and like him.
11. When you say, "What does your dad do?" they haven't a clue but they know that's what they want to do anyway. Be careful, you dad's out there 'cause your son's want to be just like you. Whatever you are. Whatever you do.
12. When you say, "Do you know who you are going to marry? Do you have some cute girl picked out?" They say, "My mom. And she'll have two babies and they will be twins." And then they grin because they know Mom is spoken for and already had eight babies, which might be a lot, even for a Mormon.
Here is Mom, selling handmade soap at the Farmer's Market today.
13. They know who they trust.
14. They know they are loved by Grandma and Grandpa.
15. They know they are smart and have a great future.This is our grandchild. He is five. He has freckles. He has one dimple and he can put his finger right on it, even without a mirror. He is smart and funny and a good boy. We love him. We had a great time with him today.
Happy Birthday, five year old!