There are a lot of things I could talk about today:
- The jet airplanes that flew over the parade at 9:10 am, with the bomber that rode with them
- The fun/funky shops/tents/tables of things that people are selling downtown at the art/bazaar/whatever-it-is-called. Free enterprise, people have the freedom to sell any darn thing they please. We even bought some of them.
- The Stadium of fire with the Blue Man Group, Miley Cyrus--aka Hanna Montana, Glen Beck, etc.
- The delicious dinner we ate at Kraut and the Soap Queen's house
- The grandkids
- Seeing the new baby--the surviving twin I talked about a while back, so precious, so little, her Mom so loving even though the baby has acid reflux and the sweet Mom is sleep deprived.
- Potato salad--just threw that in to see if you were awake
- The freedom we cherish, really cherish
- The heat--although it was overcast today, which I am sure those in the parade and those watching appreciated
But what I want to say instead is on the way to Kraut and The Soap Queen's house we passed a car with kids in the back seat. Even though it was about 90 degrees outside the back window was rolled down and a little boy, about age 4 had an American flag out the window. When the mom was at a stop light he waved the flag like crazy. His mom slowed down and turned right and I couldn't get my camera out in time to take his picture.
So, imagine his intent little face, doing his best to celebrate what this nation stands for--freedom . And how about that Mom, who let him keep his window down in the 90 degree heat so he could do his best to celebrate? Here's to four-year-olds with flags and the nation it stands for. Here's to the people who do their best to keep America a great nation. And here's to Moms. Just because.
Happy 4th of July, America.