Wednesday, August 20, 2008

OUTWITTED BY EIGHT-YEAR-OLD CURLY SUE

Here is Curly Sue, the day before school started, at Mimi's Cafe, eating a gummy worm out of her "dirt cup" dessert.

She called me a few minutes ago to tell me she is learning how to write cursive and she has already written a cursive "S" better than her mother can do it. "It's easy," she said. I asked about her teacher. Here is the conversation that ensued:




“Well, guess what, Grandma? My teacher used to teach music at my school.”

“And did she say, ‘Maddy, your Mom should buy a piano and you should take music lessons.’?”

“No,” Maddy said, “She didn’t say that.”

“I’ll bet she did. You just didn’t hear her. I’ll bet she said it really quiet.”

“No, Grandma.”

“I’ll bet she whispered it, ‘Maddy, take piano lessons,’"I said in a whispery kind of voice. "After all, she was a music teacher, she knows how important music is.”

“No, Grandma, she was supposed to teach second grade but they didn’t have enough kids for that class so they said, ‘You have to teach music,’ so she did. So, Taa Daa. She doesn’t even really like music!”



And so my argument was over. Beat by a third grader who is going to grow up to be a great orator.

Maddy, the orator and her sister, Tuesday, the show-off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kids mother must be a riot. She had taught her child to be such a pleasure. How thoughtful.

Unknown said...

She will be the great debater. Just hope she doesn't become a politician.

Cindy Price said...

Does someone want their granddaughter to learn piano??
Too funny!! Kids are so smart!!