Monday, August 18, 2008

WE MET AN OLD FRIEND THE OTHER DAY

His kids are grown and gone. Oh, wait. They are supposed to be grown and gone. Right now one has returned home. Our friend thought by now he would just be grandparenting, not having his children home with angst that should have played out years ago. He said something like this:

"We know we aren't supposed to shake babies because of the possibility of brain damage but these grown kids...how about them? There is the possibility that they are already brain damaged and so it shouldn't matter. Should it?"

We had a good laugh and then departed and I remembered a time when one of my kids was having their own angst and this man was there with encouragement and love and concern. What a great man he is and how we treasure his friendship. It's people like him that change the world for the better.

4 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

AMEN!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Our place is too small for anyone to move in. Part of the evil plan.

tearese said...

Awe, depends on how old they are. My youngest brother is 19 and been out of school a year. He is living at home and off my parents. My husband thinks my parents should kick him out. I think they should just make him get a job...after all, my sister and I both moved home for a time after we graduated from college at age 23. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

Shawn said...

I love, love, love my kids, and even though I tell them that if they ever needed to, they would be welcome to live at home----anytime.

But, secretly, I have fantasies about being by myself---and I would freak if anyone REALLY moved back in!
I do still have an 8 year old at home, though....sigh...so I've got a while...