Sunday, January 11, 2009

THE WITCHES OF THE PAST AND OF THE FUTURE

When I was a kid I often was not able to go to sleep because the wind howled around the eves or the house and I thought it was a witch, trying to get in. When the heat vent cooled off it buckled and made "someone is creeping up the stairs" noises. I, of course, thought it was the witch. I would have gotten out of bed and run like blazes downstairs to Mom but I knew a witch was hiding under my bed and she'd grab my ankles. It was always a witch.

Now it's fear of the future. Fear for our children. Fear of this and fear of that. Are the fears just like the witch? Just as unrealistic? If we could look back at ourselves from fifteen years in the future would we say, "Hey, we sure were scared of something unrealistic"? We might.

So, I'm going to bed to sleep a night without fears. I hope you will too. It will all work out. There might be some scary times, sad times, alone times, but we'll all get through it and stand on the other side, victorious. The witches of the world are in our head. Let's not let our imaginations run away with us. And let's have faith.

And remind me to read this post when I forget.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, Lynne. Thank you for that post. My witches are overwhelming me. Thank you for reminding me to have the faith to stand up to them.

Jessica said...

Wow. My comment made me laugh when it showed it next to my picture...

Hillary said...

What else am I suspose to think about when I am awake in the middle of the night?

The wall witch was gonna get Max last night. He pulled his pilla way down away from the wall.

I'm not afraid of the witches, I just pull the cover's over my head to keep warm.

Pam's Place said...

I like Hillary's approach: pull the blankets over my head.

Now seriously, this was just what I need to hear today. Thank you, dear friend, for reminding me that the witches are not real.

Pam said...

I AM a witch. Just ask ........., and ............ ........, and oh well, there are too many.

I'll try to be more quiet when I come running up and down your stairs. Heh, heh, heh.

Anonymous said...

Greta post, fear is something we can very easily let over whelm us, luckily for me I have lived and worked in places where it probably would have been sensible to feel the fear of the precarious place we were, but learnt to control and ignore the fear as if you didnt you couldnt function

As a book says Feel the fear and do it anyway